New Year's resolutions

Since I quit my job and returned from my cruise, some things have been going well, but some haven't...

While I was on the cruise, I drank a full glass of cognac and didn't get even a buzz. As there is alcoholism in my family, I'm clearly drinking too much. So I am trying to cut back since I returned.

I started CrossFit since getting back from the cruise. But since starting, I have experienced a weight gain of 6 lbs!! as well as a loss of strength. And my knees are starting to show their age by intermittent pain. As I feel great after a CrossFit beat-down, I'm not sure what to do about the apparent fitness regression. One thing I know, however, is that I need to reduce my weight, primarily fat weight, but perhaps some muscle, too. (My goal is 225 Lbs, a loss of 30 lbs at the current time.)

My hometown is virtually devoid of professional/romantic/sexual opportunities for me, and I need to get out. I've quit my job, which is an obvious first step, but I need to move as well, before my $$ runs out. Also, I am bored.

Ergo, New Year's resolutions (which I have never really made before)...


(1) To drink less. Specifically:
  • To drink my wonderful Tanqueray dirty martini's only on the weekends (or with company or with fillet mignon lunches, which I do not anticipate in the next year, but enjoyed immensely in the past two...)...
  • To drink Gin-&-Tonics only in summer...
  • To have the Back-&-Forth (my own concoction of Tanqueray Rangpur and Stone's Ginger Wine on the rocks) only occasionally (objective assessment to be determined)...
  • To stop drinking Mata Hari's (too much sugar)...
  • To reduce the frequency of after-dinner cognac (objective assessment to be determined)...
  • To drink margaritas (mine: 2 parts Don Julio anejo tequila to one part Cointreau and one part fresh-squeezed lime juice, on the rocks, no salt) only before Mexican food...
  • To not buy another bottle of Nob Creek or Maker's Mark...
  • To not drink wine with every meal, and to buy only wine I know I will enjoy...
  • To not add other drinks to my repertoire...
(2) To not eat dessert, sweets or high-carb breakfast (e.g., croissant) except on the following occasions:
  • birthdays of my family members and me (x4--June, July, October, November)
  • summer ice cream (homemade ice cream occurs once or twice a year)
  • Thanksgiving
  • Little Christmas Eve (gingerbread)
  • Christmas Day
  • + 6 other occasions
For a total of 12 times. I don't eat poorly on a frequent basis, but limiting to 12 times out of 365 possibilities will be a challenge.

(3) To eat more seaweed and kale
I really like seaweed, actually, especially sushi nori, which I buy from the grocery store's sushi chef, who is incredulous that I want to buy nori...

(4) To eat grain-based foods (other than #2) only 4 times!!
Wow, four! On the one hand, once every 3 months doesn't seem like very much sacrifice, as time can fly quickly. On the other hand, it is very common for me to engage in seasonal eating, such as pizza/beer in late summer. This will be a challenge.

(5) To stop watching television
I don't watch much now, and if I lived by myself could easily not own a TV. But I do currently watch shows with other people to be sociable...
(6) To sleep more
I have really poor sleep habits (e.g., I just slept for 10 hours last night after being up for 2 days straight), and I know it effects my recovery, mental alertness, and long-term health.

(7) To blog less/better
Pointless blogging takes up a lot of time.

(8) To reduce possessions further.

My ideal would be to own only my clothes, some books, some kitchen and table ware, toilettries, a few home furnishings, and my bike. I'm a lot closer to this ideal than I am to most people's level of acquisition, but over time, odds and ends build up somehow. I understand my humidor, but why did I buy glass decanturs? Will my dead grandmother really care if I get rid of the things she gave me when I was 10?

(9) To read a minimum 50 non-fiction books (~1/wk), and read less Internet
It's not like I watch YouTube videos and LOLcat humor when online, but books are better.

(10) To finish a project
I've started a lot of hobby-related projects in the past, from novels to small businesses, but I've never finished one/made it profitable.