Google Reader biased toward local news outlets?



I had this strange experience with Google's RSS Reader today. As you can see from the image, I got something from North Country Public Radio in my Google Reader inbox. What's strange is that NCPR is a fairly small-time local-ish public radio station. Their front page was pointing to an NPR report about Margaret Hamburg. Now, there must be NPR affiliates all over North America that use automatic news updates that were re-directing to the NPR report. So what are the chances that my local station's website would show up in my RSS Reader but not other ones? I wonder if this means Google pushes news to you in certain ways, such as preferring to show you websites with local affiliation over others. I think that's pretty problematic and should be transparent if it's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment