Nursing management/leadership course: can I make it?

I'm starting to experience intense anxiety over my Nur428 Management and Leadership course. Early in the course, we went over management styles including the "good" laissez-faire management style. I understood immediately at that point that what the instructor was getting at was that we were on our own.

Unfortunately, this management style does not work for a required course that no student has been prepped for or wants to be in. Moveover, it doesn't work for a situation in which the actual goal of the group is to produce things for the manager that are based on nothing but the managers ideas. Our instructor quoted General Patton as saying something like "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you." But the things Patton is referring to are "take that city" or "defeat that battalion," not "complete 'the project'." What the hell is "the project?" you ask. That's a damn good question.

Anyhow, I hope I can make it through the course. I started pushing ahead and have violated some of the nebulous rules the instructor made up for our project. I got verbal okays from her, but in the last analysis, she could turn against me and point to her rules. Not a good position to be in. I hope I can make it through the course. If I don't, I will be quite upset, as I started asking what I could do to get ahead in this course last spring...

No comments:

Post a Comment