NIH autism stimulus money

Furious Seasons' take on the stimulus package's funding for autism research:
I'm all in favor of researching the hell out of autism spectrum disorders, but does anyone seriously believe that this $60 million will create new jobs and stimulate the economy? I don't. If anything, it'll redeploy already-well-paid researchers and their staffs from other projects into autism research projects defined by NIMH. I fail to see how that creates new jobs. I'm not hearing about mass layoffs of researchers.

I guess it falls into line with my initial suspicions when I first saw details of the stimulus plan a ways back--and that is that a fair amount of the $500 billion or so in spending (and borrowing from China) would go to priorities that can't create new jobs. For example, paying a portion of laid-odd peoples' COBRA. That won't suddenly create new health care jobs and won't create a job for the laid-off person, so it kind of defeats the stated purpose of President Obama's stimulus package (or Congress' or whomever's it is), which is to create jobs, and that bugs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment